Drilling Sea Shells – Sea Glass – Rocks – for Jewelry Making
There are great sets for jewelry making. Click here for reviews and prices.
Please a take look at this great blog for DIY information and discussions.
How To Drill Sea Glass
What You Will Need:
- Sea Glass or other types of beach pottery
- A Rotary Tool or Drill (Cordless/Electric) or Upright Drill
- Optional Drilax Flex Shaft
- Drilax Diamond Drill Bits 1mm to 3mm (you may prefer assorted sizes)
- Collet or adjustable chuck
- Shallow dish to contain water
- Piece of soft wood under the glass
- Water to cool and lubricate
- Safety mask – googles
Initial Set Up
- Mark your piece when you want to drill
- Fill up your plastic shallow dish with water (about 1 inches deep)
- Select your drill bit, attach it with your chuck or collet, get ready to drill
Always be extra careful water near an electric drill. Make sure your drill and working area and of course hands stays dry. Do NOT touch electrical appliances with wet hands.
How to Drill Sea Glass
1- Keep the sea glass in the water with your fingers or a type of wise / clamp.
2- Angle the diamond drill bit at about 45 degrees (90 degrees is perpendicular, so half way in the middle).
3- Start your drill at your slowest speed, do not apply too much pressure.
Please be patient.
Do not speed up your drill or apply extra pressure.
You will eventually make a hole, 1 minute sooner or later. Do not lose your patience. You may end up breaking the piece, your drill bit or ruin the tip of the bit.
4- As soon as you make your initial mark, slowly move the drill to perpendicular (vertical) position.
5- Keep it slow and with light pressure.
6- Every 10-15 seconds, move the drill bit up and let water in the hole you make.
7- To give you an idea, you can drill a regular sea glass within 60 seconds.